With the aim of introducing the site to cultural tourism, studies will soon be launched on the archaeological site of Kuşaklı, ancient Sarissa, in the Altınyayla district of the central province of Sivas. Used as a summer residence by the Hittite kings about 3,500 years ago, the site will attract many visitors with the completion of the works.
Sarissa was an important Hittite colony in 1400-1500 BC.
Archaeological excavations began in 1993 on behalf of the management of the Sivas Museum at the archaeological site. They have since been carried out by Professor Andras Müler Karpe of the University of Malburg, Germany.
During excavations, Building C, one of the largest Hittite temples known to date, the King’s Palace, and the city’s south and northwest gates were unearthed at the site. In addition, a large temple, letter, statues of twin Rhyton bulls, and various tablets were found during excavations.
The archaeological site, which is an important destination for archeology enthusiasts, is intended to welcome visitors following landscaping work and the addition of social amenities. According to the statement of Governor of Sivas Salih Ayhan, a tender will be launched soon to promote the site to people.